After spending five minutes trying to think of an original opening (honestly the only real effort that goes into these), I decided that its best for everyones stability for me to just get started.

So, second post of the peru trip, followed by a part one. Im sure that many of you are convulsing right now over the thought of me writing a post that has more then one part, and I would be too, but I assure you that this series will continue. This is because its nearly ap test time, so unless you were looking forward to content that consists of a picture of my wall and me complaining about school (I know, disappointing, right), this is truly the only thing I have to talk about.

Moving on, I rose from my bed at around 8 and quickly got dressed and packed up my stuff up. I had another disappointing breakfast, and headed down to the lobby were me met back up with Carlo who was going to be taking us to the airport to catch a flight to Cusco, the capital of the Incas. Now the reason we are flying to cusco, instead of driving there, is because its either a one hour flight, or 24 hours of driving, so not the best trade off.

Our time at the airport was pretty uneventful, the only interesting thing was that there were numerous dunkin donuts and papa john’s scattered around the airport. Our plane flight was also uneventful, and I spent the majority of it watching the office. Soon, we had landed and the second the stepped off the plane the altitude hit us like a truck. Unlike Lima, which is relatively close to sea level, Cusco is at 10,000 feet, so, by the time I had taken my first steps I was already winded. We went through their small airport and met our driver, Carlos, who would take us from Cusco to the sacred valley of the Inca. From what I saw of it, Cusco was a beautiful city, and it was shame we had no time to see it as before I knew it we had pulled into the countryside.

Last Peek at Cusco

Our drive was breathtaking as we drove through Peru’s many mountains, witnessing hundreds of Inca terraces still in use by farmers. I had wished to travel uninterrupted, being able to simply relax and observe, but [REDACTED] had other plans. For some reason unbeknownst to me, [REDACTED] loves things like textiles, pillows, and other “oriental” junk that I personally view as useless and a waste of money. So [REDACTED] asked Carlos to take us to a place where [REDACTED] could purchase, “authentic” textiles. I mean, to be honest, textiles are sold in every city in earth and are the definition of overpriced scams, because there’s no good way to tell if their handmade or machine fabricated in bulk. However the place we went to get these textiles had some cool unique designs, but more importantly, it had a cute puppy who My sister and I played with while [REDACTED] wasted our money.

After that hour long excursion, we returned to our car and continued on our journey, where karma seemed to be on my side, as shortly thereafter we stopped once again, but this time, for something actually worthwhile. We had stopped a cliffside to get a view of the entire sacred valley, a completely breathtaking sight, completely different from anything you could find in santa barbara.

Shortly after that we arrived at our hotel, the Belmond Rio Sagrada, and being extremely tries from the day long car ride, I slinked to my room, without taking any pictures mind you, and collapsed in the air conditioning where I would watch youtube and relax until dinner a hour or so later.

The restaurant at the Rio Sagrada had a really nice ambiance and I they were kind enough to create an entirely separate vegan menu for my sister, but she declined to attend because she said she wasn’t hungry even though she hadn’t eaten for 16 hours.

I ordered a quinoa bisque and a guinea pig confit, because, hey, I should probably try it at least once. The quinoa was just okay, not good, but not bad, and felt only lukewarm.

However it was still edible, unlike the Guinea Pig. Now I’m not saying that because I’m some sort of wimp who was grossed out by the fact that I was eating something a lot of Americans have as pets, I’m saying that because it was absolutely disgusting. Within one bite I wanted to throw up. It tasted like an oily fishy duck at first, but then simply devolved into a fatty mess in your mouth with a slimy texture. Its likely that guinea pig, when prepared correctly, is actually delicious, and that I simply had a bad experience because it was a Confit and because the restaurant had already proved itself with the quinoa to be just meh.

Soon thereafter I returned back to my room and fell fast asleep, trying to get enough rest to prepare for tomorrow’s hike.

After waking, I climbed out of bed, cleaned myself up, and headed to breakfast, hoping it would be better than last nights experience.

I decided to get some french toast, because come on, who can screw that up?

They can, that’s who.

I think it was actually less of the french toast and more the syrup which tasted like that high fructose corn syrup garbage you can grab in a wal-mart instead of some actual canadian maple syrup. Which, I guess, is understandable saying that we’re thousands of miles from canada, but still, can I please just get some basic, good, fulfilling breakfast food, like come on.

After that we met up with our new guide Elliot, who would be accompanying us all the way to machu picchu. Today we were going to do a quick tour of the valley and then go on a long hike through the mountains.

Our first stop was a small village in which the locals only spoke Quechua, the language of the Inca. There, a whole bunch of women from the village came out and try to sell us their handmade textiles, and while I would have politely declined buying anything, because we had [REDACTED] with us, we weren’t getting out of there without hundreds of dollars worth of useless textiles.

So, with our pockets sufficiently lightened, we continued onto where we would begin our hike. We started by climbing up a big hill to access some unmarked ruins at the top, and, because I’m a lazy degenerate who’s slowly losing his work ethic over time, I will likely just dump a ton of photos down with minimal text.

We then began our descent back down the hill so that we could find a good path to continue our hike on. It was there where randomly a little pitbull puppy came flopping out of nowhere, and he was very adorable.

After saying goodbye to our puppy friend we cut across the hill and began our long 12 mile hike to the nearest village where we would visit their archaeological site. It was extremely beautiful, as you will soon see.

Shortly thereafter we began to reach the outskirts of the town, and after a short lunch break, continued our long advance.

A few moments later we arrived at the ruins.

And then, being sufficiently tired from our day of adventure, we returned back the the hotel where I relaxed in the hot tub, and then, I presume, had dinner, although I have no recollection of it.

I must apologize before I end this post, as you’ve likely noticed the decrease in quality of this post. Ap tests and other assignments are completely destroying me right now, and this blog has been pushed into the background in order to keep myself afloat

Thank you for understanding,

-Sharp Out